September 21st, 2016
Quello Postdoctoral Research Associate Position at Michigan State University Posting #4068
William Dutton, the Quello Professor of Media and Information Policy and Director of the Quello Center in the Department of Media and Information at Michigan State University (MSU), is seeking to hire a Postdoctoral Fellow as a Research Associate for a 1 year position, with the potential for renewal. The position is available beginning as soon as January 2017. The research associate will work with Professor Dutton and additional Quello research staff members on existing Quello research projects and in developing proposals for further research. Projects focus on media, information and Internet policy, regulation and governance, such as the Center’s studies on the impact of network neutrality, digital inequalities, access to broadband, and the social dynamics of Internet search. More information is on the Center’s website at: http://quello.msu.edu/
Candidates should explain the relevance of their background and interests to the work of the Quello Center. The appointment would enable candidates to pursue their own research as well as supporting ongoing work at the Center, with the potential for developing new projects and support for continuation beyond the first year.
Applicants must have defended their dissertation prior to beginning the postdoctoral fellowship. A doctoral degree in Political Science, Law, Policy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Communication, New Media, Internet Studies, Information Studies, or a related field is required. Candidates must have (1) strong methodological training and skills of relevance to policy research, (2) experience writing grant and funding proposals, and (3) good organizational and time management skills. The quality of prior work, such as publications, and grant writing experience will be key in evaluating all applications. Particular consideration will be given to candidates that show evidence of having strong empirical skills, including an understanding of various methodologies pertaining to large datasets and computational data analysis, such as social network analysis.
The Research Associate position is a 12 month, full-time appointment, with salary up to $45,000 depending upon qualifications. Benefits are also provided. See http://grad.msu.edu/pdo/ and http://www.hr.msu.edu/benefits/ for more information on postdoctoral training and benefits at MSU.
Materials should be submitted via the MSU online system:
– Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position, and what training, skills, research and methodological background you would bring to the work of the Quello Center and this position.
– Names and contact information for three references
– An up-to-date curriculum vitae
– One sample of your best work
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is selected. You may view the job description and apply online at
– Information about the Quello Center: http://quello.msu.edu
– The Department of Media and Information is home to a dynamic, interdisciplinary faculty internationally regarded for their research on the uses and implications of information and communication technologies, such as the Internet and related social and mobile media. Our curricula address both the theoretical and practical aspects of media use and production, and our alumni have achieved positions of prominence in academia, industry, and government.
– MSU is an affirmative-action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.