For updates on new research please sign up for our SSRN electronic journal.
Conference Presentations and Working Papers
- Hampton, Keith N., and Inyoung Shin (2022, May). Disconnection is More Problematic for Adolescent Self-Esteem Than Heavy Social Media Use: Digital Inequality, Restrictive Parenting, and the Relationship to Time Rural Youth Spend with Friends and Family. International Communication Association. Hybrid Conference. Paris.
- Bauer, Johannes M., New Guardrails for the Information Society (September 12, 2021). Quello Center Working Paper No. 05-21, Available at https://ssrn.com/abstract=3938541 and http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3938541
- Prado, Tiago S., Kill Zones? Effects of Big Tech Start-up Acquisitions on Innovation (June 11, 2021). Available at: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3787127 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3787127
- Reisdorf, B.C., Blank, G., Cotten, S., Argyris, A., Robertson, C.T., Knittel, M., & Bauer, J.M. (2021). Overcoming COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy. Quello Center Policy Brief 02/21.
- Bauer, J.M.; Hampton, K.N.; Fernandez, L.; Robertson, C., Overcoming Michigan’s Homework Gap: The Role of Broadband Internet Connectivity for Student Success and Career Outlooks (October 19, 2020). Quello Center Working Paper No. 06-20, Download from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3714752 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3714752
- Bauer, J.M. and Prado, T.S., Digital Platforms and Innovation: Lessons for Innovation Policy and Regulation (December 15, 2020). Download from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3749670 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3749670
- Bauer, J. M. and Prado, T. S. (2020). Lessons from innovation economics for digital platform policy. Download draft paper | Download presentation
- Bauer, Johannes. (2019). Effects of Network Neutrality Regulation and Competition Policy on the Evolution of the Internet. Paper presented at the Conference of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) on Communication, Technology and Human Dignity: Disputed Rights, Contested Truths, Madrid, Spain, July 7-11, 2019. Download here: https://quello.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Bauer-Network-Neutrality-IAMCR-Madrid-2019-Final-Draft.pdf.
- Bauer, J. M., Technical, Economic, and Social Coordination Requirements of Internet-Based Innovation (July 21, 2019). Download from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3423613 or https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3423613
- Fernandez, L. and Shillair, R. and Reisdorf, B., Building Our Own Bridges: How a Distressed Urban Neighborhood Bridges the Digital Divide (July 26, 2019). Download from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3427438 or https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3427438
- Hampton, K.; Fernandez, L.; Robertson, C.; Bauer, J.M., Repercussions of Poor Broadband Connectivity for Students in Rural and Small Town Michigan (December 15, 2020). Download from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3749644 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3749644.
- Prado, T.S., Assessing the Market Power of Digital Platforms (December 12, 2020). Download from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3747793 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3747793.
- Robertson, C. and Fernandez, L. and Shillair, R., The Political Outcomes of Unfriending: Social Network Curation, Network Agreeability, and Political Participation (July 24, 2019). Download from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3426216 or https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3426216
- Shillair, R. and Fernandez, L., Diversity Without Disagreeability: A Multi-National Examination of Social Networks and Participation in Political Dialog (July 25, 2019). Download from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3426604 or https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3426604
Articles, Books, Chapters
- Hampton, K.N. & Shin, I. (2022). Disconnection More Problematic for Adolescent Self-Esteem than Heavy Social Media Use: Evidence from Access Inequalities and Restrictive Media Parenting in Rural America, Social Science Computer Review, published online August 5, 2022. Download at https://doi.org/10.1177/08944393221117466.
- Prado, T.S. & Bauer, J.M. (2022). Big Tech Platform Acquisitions of Start-ups and Venture Capital Funding for Innovation. Information Economics and Policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infoecopol.2022.100973.
- Bauer, J.M. (2022). Toward new guardrails for the information society. Telecommunications Policy, 102350. Published online April 6, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2022.102350
- Bauer, J. M. (2022). Review of Christopher Ali, Farm Fresh Broadband: The Politics of Rural Connectivity, MIT Press, 2021. Journal of Digital Media & Policy, 13(1), 143-146. https://doi.org/10.1386/jdmp_00099_5
- Creese, S., Dutton, W.H., Esteve-Gonzalez, P. & Shillair, R. (2021). Cybersecurity Capacity Building: Cross-National Benefits and International Divides. Journal of Cyber Policy, 6(2), 214-235. https://doi.org/10.1080/23738871.2021.1979617
- Bauer, J.M., & Bohlin, E. (2021). Regulation and innovation in 5G markets, Telecommunications Policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2021.102260
- Knieps, G., & Bauer, J.M. (2021). Internet of Things and the economics of 5G-based local industrial networks, Telecommunications Policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2021.102261
- Shin, I., & Hampton, K.N. (2021). New Media Use and the Belief in a Just World: Awareness of Life Events and the Perception of Fairness for Self and Injustice for Others. Information, Communication & Society, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2021.1950804
- Hampton, K.N., Robertson, C.T., Fernandez, L., Shin, I., & Bauer, J.M. (2021). How variation in internet access, digital skills, and media use are related to rural student outcomes: GPA, SAT, and educational aspirations. Telematics and Informatics, 101666, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2021.101666.
- Reisdorf, B.C., Blank, G., Bauer, J. M., Cotten, S., Robertson, C.T., & Knittel, M. (2021). Information Seeking Patterns and COVID-19 in the United States. Journal of Quantitative Description: Digital Media, 1. https://doi.org/10.51685/jqd.2021.003
- Prado, T.S. & Bauer, J.M. (2021). Improving broadband policy design using market data: A general framework and application to Brazil, Telecommunications Policy, 45(5), 102111, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2021.102111.
- Banerjee, S.; Swearingen, T.; Shillair, R.; Bauer, J.M.; Holt, T.J.; & Ross, A. (2021). Using machine learning to examine cyberattack motivations on web defacement data. Social Science Computer Review. Published online on 23 February 2021, https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0894439321994234.
- Feijóo, C., Kwon, Y., Bauer, J. M., Bohlin, E., Howell, B., Jain, R., Potgieter, P., Vu, K., Whalley, J., & Xia, J. (2020). Harnessing AI to increase wellbeing for all: The case for a new technology diplomacy, Telecommunications Policy. Download at https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2020.101988.
- Fernandez, L. (2020). Digital Advertising in Political Campaigns and Elections. In W. H. Dutton (Ed.), A Research Agenda for Digital Politics. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hampton, Keith and Barry Wellman. (2021). All the Lonely People? The Continuing Lament about the Loss of Community. In Leah Lievrouw and Brian Loader (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Digital Media and Communication. Abingdon, UK. Routledge. 281-296.
- Hampton, K. N., Fernandez, L., Robertson, C. T., & Bauer, J. M. (2020). Broadband and Student Performance Gaps. James H. and Mary B. Quello Center, Michigan State University. 3 March 2020, Access at https://doi.org/10.25335/BZGY-3V91.
- Holt, T.J.; Lee, J.R.; Freilich, J.D.; Chermak, S.M.; Bauer, J.M.; Shillair, R. & Ross, A. (2020) An exploratory analysis of the characteristics of ideologically motivated cyberattacks, Terrorism and Political Violence (published online 26 August 2020). Access at http://10.1080/09546553.2020.1777987.
- Hong, Soo Jeong, Bauer, Johannes M., Lee, Kwangjin, Granados, Nelson F. (2020). Drivers of supplier participation in ride-hailing services, Journal of Management Information Systems, 37(3), 602-630. Download at https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2020.1790177.
- Reisdorf, Bianca, Laleah Fernandez, Keith Hampton, Inyoung Shin and William Dutton (2020). Mobile Phones will not Eliminate Digital and Social Divides: How Variation in Internet Activities Mediates the Relationship between Type of Internet Access and Local Social Capital in Detroit. Social Science Computer Review.
- Robertson, C. T., Mourão, R. R., & Thorson, E. (2020). Who Uses Fact-Checking Sites? The Impact of Demographics, Political Antecedents, and Media Use on Fact-Checking Site Awareness, Attitudes, and Behavior. The International Journal of Press/Politics, 194016121989805. Access at https://doi.org/10.1177/1940161219898055.