For updates on new research please sign up for our SSRN electronic journal.
Work in Progress
- Bauer, J.M.; Hampton, K.N.; Fernandez, L.; Robertson, C., Overcoming Michigan’s Homework Gap: The Role of Broadband Internet Connectivity for Student Success and Career Outlooks (October 19, 2020). Quello Center Working Paper No. 06-20, Download from: SSRN or DOI.
- Bauer, J.M. and Prado, T.S., Digital Platforms and Innovation: Lessons for Innovation Policy and Regulation (December 15, 2020). Download from: SSRN or DOI.
- Bauer, J. M. and Prado, T. S. (2020). Lessons from innovation economics for digital platform policy. Download draft paper | Download presentation
- Bauer, Johannes. (2019). Effects of Network Neutrality Regulation and Competition Policy on the Evolution of the Internet. Paper presented at the Conference of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) on Communication, Technology and Human Dignity: Disputed Rights, Contested Truths, Madrid, Spain, July 7-11, 2019. Download.
- Bauer, J. M., & Bohlin, E. (2019). The Role of Regulation in 5G Market Design. Working paper. Download from SSRN.
- Bauer, J. M., Technical, Economic, and Social Coordination Requirements of Internet-Based Innovation (July 21, 2019). Download from SSRN or DOI
- Creese, S., Dutton, W., Esteve-Gonzalez, P., Shillair, R. (2020) Cybersecurity Capacity Building: Cross-National Benefits and International Divides. Journal of Cyber Policy
- Fernandez, L. and Shillair, R. and Reisdorf, B., Building Our Own Bridges: How a Distressed Urban Neighborhood Bridges the Digital Divide (July 26, 2019). Download from SSRN or DOI
- Hampton, K.; Fernandez, L.; Robertson, C.; Bauer, J.M., Repercussions of Poor Broadband Connectivity for Students in Rural and Small Town Michigan (December 15, 2020). Download from: SSRN or DOI.
- Prado, T.S., Assessing the Market Power of Digital Platforms (December 12, 2020). Download from: SSRN or DOI.
- Robertson, C. and Fernandez, L. and Shillair, R., The Political Outcomes of Unfriending: Social Network Curation, Network Agreeability, and Political Participation (July 24, 2019). Download from SSRN or DOI
- Shillair, R. and Fernandez, L., Diversity Without Disagreeability: A Multi-National Examination of Social Networks and Participation in Political Dialog (July 25, 2019). Download from SSRN or DOI
Articles, Books, Chapters
- Reisdorf, B.C., Blank, G., Bauer, J. M., Cotten, S., Robertson, C.T., & Knittel, M. (2021). Information Seeking Patterns and COVID-19 in the United States. Journal of Quantitative Description: Digital Media, 1. https://doi.org/10.51685/jqd.2021.003
- Prado, T. S., Kill Zones? Measuring the Impact of Big Tech Start-up Acquisitions on Venture Capital Activity (February 17, 2021). Available at: SSRN or DOI
- Prado, T.S. & Bauer, J.M. (2021). Improving broadband policy design using market data: A general framework and application to Brazil, Telecommunications Policy, 45(5), 102111, DOI.
- Banerjee, S.; Swearingen, T.; Shillair, R.; Bauer, J.M.; Holt, T.J.; & Ross, A. (2021). Using machine learning to examine cyberattack motivations on web defacement data. Social Science Computer Review. Published online on 23 February 2021, DOI.
- Feijóo, C., Kwon, Y., Bauer, J. M., Bohlin, E., Howell, B., Jain, R., Potgieter, P., Vu, K., Whalley, J., & Xia, J. (2020). Harnessing AI to increase wellbeing for all: The case for a new technology diplomacy, Telecommunications Policy. Download at DOI.
- Fernandez, L. (2020). Digital Advertising in Political Campaigns and Elections. In W. H. Dutton (Ed.), A Research Agenda for Digital Politics. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hampton, Keith and Barry Wellman. (2021). All the Lonely People? The Continuing Lament about the Loss of Community. In Leah Lievrouw and Brian Loader (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Digital Media and Communication. Abingdon, UK. Routledge. 281-296.
- Hampton, K. N., Fernandez, L., Robertson, C. T., & Bauer, J. M. (2020). Broadband and Student Performance Gaps. James H. and Mary B. Quello Center, Michigan State University. 3 March 2020, Access at DOI.
- Holt, T.J.; Lee, J.R.; Freilich, J.D.; Chermak, S.M.; Bauer, J.M.; Shillair, R. & Ross, A. (2020) An exploratory analysis of the characteristics of ideologically motivated cyberattacks, Terrorism and Political Violence (published online 26 August 2020). Access at DOI.
- Hong, Soo Jeong, Bauer, Johannes M., Lee, Kwangjin, Granados, Nelson F. (2020). Drivers of supplier participation in ride-hailing services, Journal of Management Information Systems, 37(3), 602-630. Download at DOI.
- Reisdorf, Bianca, Laleah Fernandez, Keith Hampton, Inyoung Shin and William Dutton (2020). Mobile Phones will not Eliminate Digital and Social Divides: How Variation in Internet Activities Mediates the Relationship between Type of Internet Access and Local Social Capital in Detroit. Social Science Computer Review.
- Robertson, C. T., Mourão, R. R., & Thorson, E. (2020). Who Uses Fact-Checking Sites? The Impact of Demographics, Political Antecedents, and Media Use on Fact-Checking Site Awareness, Attitudes, and Behavior. The International Journal of Press/Politics, 194016121989805. Access at DOI.